Bob’s Dive Shop Training Philosophy
We Are Not a SCUBA School Drive-Thru ̶ We won’t cut corners with your safety!
With 40+ years of diving experience, we understand you need to feel comfortable and confident under water before you can truly enjoy all that SCUBA diving has to offer. SCUBA diving is a fun sport, but it does have its risks. Other certification programs rush you through training – WE WILL NOT! We make the learning process fun and give you time to gain confidence in your diving skills before you go on your first open water dive.
Why We’re Different
We offer more classes, one-on-one coaching, pool time, and dive time than most other diving schools. We don’t offer a 2-day certification class because we don’t take a one-size-fits-all approach to educating and certifying new Open Water Divers. We want you to be fully prepared so you can relax and enjoy your underwater adventures! Behaviorists understand it takes 21 days of practice to form a new habit; the Bob’s Dive Shop SCUBA certification program is based on this theory.
Our on-site heated pool is available to you for practice, just call ahead and let us know you’re coming by. We want you to develop your diving skills prior to entering the ocean. We believe you should focus on having fun during the program and not focus on time pressures you or others may place on the training process. Remember, Mom said, “practice makes perfect.” She was right! Was she a diver?
Learn How to Dive with Bob’s Dive Shop and SCUBA School
Discover the underwater world that few will ever experience! We have a full range of scuba diving classes available to you. We offer introductory courses designed to give you a feel for diving, Open Water Diver courses, advanced diving courses, and even courses for becoming a Dive Instructor. If you want to learn how to snorkel, see more about our snorkeling lessons.
The Training Program
Our modular five-session training program includes educational videos, a manual, study guide, DiveLog System, and dive tables.
Developing Diving Skills
You will learn to develop SCUBA skills through multiple in-pool and open water sessions. Our exclusive Comfort through Repetition teaching method includes:
- Moving through water with ease
- Breathing normally under water
- Buoyancy control (to keep you from ascending or descending)
- Entering and exiting the water with ease
- Mask clearing
How to Select Diving Equipment
Since you can’t dive without equipment, and you probably can’t hold your breath for 45 minutes, we’ll help you figure out what gear will work best for your needs:
- How to select the best diving equipment for your needs and budget
- Maintaining and adjusting your SCUBA diving equipment to extend its life and improve performance
SSI® Diving Certification Classes with Bob’s Dive Shop
We offer convenient class times to meet your busy schedule, a friendly and knowledgeable staff, and Fresno’s only dive center complete with an on-site heated pool. We begin a new session of SCUBA diving certification courses monthly. To earn your certification, you will be required to attend Classroom, Pool and Ocean Dives.
You’ll enjoy three phases of training: Knowledge Development Classes, Skill Development Dives in our on-site heated pool, and Open Water Dives.
- Phase 1: Knowledge Development Classes – These sessions develop your familiarity with basic principles and procedures of SCUBA Diving. You will learn things like how pressure affects your body, how to choose the best equipment, and what to consider when planning dives. You’ll review what you studied in the student manual and DVD with your instructor to be sure you’re comfortable with the material.
- Phase 2: Skills Development Dives – This is what it’s all about! You’ll learn to develop basic scuba skills diving in a controlled environment – our on-site heated pool. You’ll learn how to set up your equipment, how to get water easily out of your mask without surfacing, and you’ll practice emergency skills like sharing air – just in case. Plus you’ll make new friends, have a great time and plan some exciting dive trips!
- Phase 3: Open Water Dives – After your confined water dives in the pool, you’ll go on five open water dives with your BDS Instructor at a local dive site. Your open water certification training is generally completed over a two day period in Monterey, or some other exotic location. These are your first actual dives – you will be accompanied by your instructor for your safety, comfort, and enjoyment. Over the course of these five dives, you’ll attain the skills you need to dive comfortably in open water. Unlike other sports, SCUBA diving requires a certification card to verify proper training and experience. The training you’ll receive from Bob’s Dive Shop is accepted worldwide.
Bob’s Dive Shop Open Water Diver Programs
We have 3 Scuba lesson formats for you to choose from:
- BDS Learn to Dive
- BDS Scuba Flex
- BDS Partner in Paradise program
All three programs have a different cost. We recommend setting up a BDS Scuba Orientation meeting, so we can help you select the best program for your needs. We conduct orientations by appointment, or you can just stop by the shop to discuss your needs with one of our Instructional staff members.
Bob’s Dive Shop Specialty Courses
Call and talk with us about our diving Specialty courses. We do more interesting dives and real world dive scenarios than many other providers.
- Guided Underwater Tours of Monterey Bay
- Scuba Skills Update (refresher)
- California Open Water Orientation
- Stress and Rescue
- Dry Suit – with purchase from BDS
- Boat Diving
- Deep Diving
- Night/Limited Visibility Diving
- Search and Recovery
- Wreck Diving
- EAN – Nitrox
- Equipment Techniques
Our staff members have a genuine interest in seeing you succeed. You will find our facility is the best-equipped dive training facility in the Central Valley. Bob’s Dive Shop’s elite instructional methods make learning to dive fun, easy, and quite possibly the most rewarding adventure of your life!
Call (559) 225-DIVE (3483) and make an appointment to learn more about our classes.
Come and learn to dive where your comfort, safety and enjoyment are the main concern.
Bring your swimsuit and give it a try!